Saturday, March 29, 2008

Well....I Finally Found Some!

Well, for those who have faithfully read "Suede and Chrome" over the past couple of years, you are aware of my efforts to locate an Old Navy truck. For the rest of you, I'll try to get you "up to speed".

The corporation that owns the Old Navy stores has decided to remodel. In doing so, they had all of their "signature" Chevrolet pickup trucks removed from their stores. These trucks were built using actual trucks from the early 50's. The trucks have begun appearing on eBay, on discussion boards, and in places like the Indiana Auto and RV.

The trucks for sale have been all over the US. I've been trying to locate one that is fairly local. Well, a buddy of mine, we'll call him "Mr. Custom Hotwheel Builder" (see links to his auctions on this site), told me he saw a truck sitting on a lot in Muncie, Indiana, just 10 minutes from my house. (I think he told me that last Monday) Before I could get over there to check it out, he had driven by again. This time he told me there were 4 trucks.

This afternoon, I put a couple of my boys in the car, and we went to see if we could find the trucks and find out the story behind them. Well, as you can see from the pictures, the guy actually has 5 Old Navy trucks. He also had a 1959 Chevy truck, a '53 GMC, a '48 Ford, and the Ford you see lined up with the Old Navy Trucks... (is this a '40?).
At any rate, as I began looking them over, the owner of the place came out and we stood and talked for a while. None of the trucks have titles. Some of them still have the door jam plate with the VIN number. The trucks are all in similar shape. No pedals, no engine, or transmission. No floor in the bed...just a piece of plywood painted the same color as the truck. The owner told me he had a couple of straight 6-cylinder engines that he would part with if a guy just wanted to make a driver out of one. He said that one of the trucks was already sold, and the others will be listed in the Indiana Auto and RV next week. Bottom line....he will be asking $4,000.00 a piece for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!