Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Cool and the Strange...

Well, it's hard to believe it's been a week since our visit to the Motor City. It would also be hard to believe the difference in the temperatures this week vs. all of the nasty weather and blizzard like conditions from last week if I hadn't lived in Indiana for over 20 years. They have a saying around here, "If you don't like the weather in Indiana, just wait til tomorrow." We've had some really nice Spring-like weather this week that has melted all the snow. This morning (Saturday, March 15), I'm looking out our sliding glass doors to our backyard. this morning we've got some pretty thick fog.

Well, still posting pictures from the basement of the Cobo Center at the 2008 Detroit Autorama show. I could have stayed in the basement the rest of the day, but the wife was starting to "move a little quicker" through the show. She not a big car show "goer" so I certainly appreciate the fact that she even agreed to the trip. (thanks honey....I love you!)

Well, this morning's pictures are of a few examples of some traditional hot rods. Cars from the 30's make such nice rods! You see a lot of early Fords, and a few less Chevrolets, but even early Plymouths look great fender less, with a chromed out mill and some wide whitewalls. Regardless whether you prefer the patina look, flat paint, or gloss, there is no denying these cars make a statement.
This "custom" wagon was in the area of the Detroit Road Devils, so I'm assuming it belongs to one of their members. Just a nice example of how creativity and Kustom Kulture can transcend the world of automobiles. I've seen some nice examples of kustom wagons, mailboxes, bicycles, etc. (In fact, I customized our mailbox and have a Kustom Kruiser bicycle myself. My youngest owns a slick "flamed" pedal car too.)
O.k...this ride was strange, but also intriguing. In between the two halves of my career in education, I spent 3 years working in a Human Resources department as the Training Coordinator for an area Steel Casket Manufacturer. I'm not 100% sure, but the hardware on this casket looks very familiar and it is possible that the "body" of this interesting vehicle may have came from East Central Indiana.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!