Friday, June 20, 2008

Road Rocket Rumble 2008



Well, after 3 years of wanting to make it down to Indy for the Road Rocket Rumble, I FINALLY was able to make it this year! I took the day off of work and my 16 year old son and I made the drive down to the Speedway area.
I decided to leave the 50 Chevy at home, since it was about an 1 hour and 1/2 drive (mostly Interstate). After I was there I really wished I had taken ole blue. Maybe next year I'll chart a "cross country" route to avoid the Interstate.
At any rate, we arrived at about 9:00 am and stayed til about 2 in the afternoon. Unfortunately, we had to get home before the evening concerts due to my daugthers having a all-star softball game.

Over all, the show was absolutely FANTASTIC! Lots of GREAT cars...with NO BILLET ALLOWED. The coolest thing about the show was all of the "extra" stuff that was going on. The show takes place at the Clarion Waterfront Hotel. The entire hotel is reserved for the show. There are vendors outside as well as inside some of the conference rooms. There were black and white movies playing in a theater area, and a pool party @ 2 in the hotel pool area. Technical workshops also were going on throughout the day, and a Buick was actually being customized in the parking lot! There was also a DJ 'spinning' some awesome Rockabilly music throughout the morning. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the show was more than a cruise-in....it was a Kultural event!
I think I took over 100 photographs throughout the morning, so I will be posting them throughout the coming week.
I'm planning on taking the chevy to Millville, Indiana tomorrow to help a friend of mine with the Wilbur Wright Birthplace Car and Truck Show. Maybe I'll see a few "Suede and Chrome" readers there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!