Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tubbed Corvair!!!

Ran across these photographs that I took a few years ago in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Super Chevy Show. I can't remember the year, maybe 2001? At any rate, this Corvair was extremely COOL!
Those of you who are familar with Corvairs will remember that they were a rear engine automobile. My grandfather had one when I was a kid and I always thought it was pretty unique even at a young age.

I'm not really old enough to remember the whole Ralph Nader "Unsafe At Any Speed" ordeal. But I've been told that it was this report that forced Chevrolet to pull the plug on the Corvair. Those of you "in the know", please feel free to post comments to "educate" the rest of us!
It's amazing how many Corvairs are still around. There is one that sits in a yard you can see on Interstate 70 on the way to Indianapolis. It's been there for as long as I can remember. There is actually a world-wide Corvair club, check it out at: http://www.corvair.org/index.php
There is also a Corvair Museum that I would like to visit someday. For more info, check out:
Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Collection
100 E Cross St., Ypsilanti MI 48198
(734) 482-5200
Mon. – Fri. 1:30 PM - 5:30 PM • Sat. 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM • Sun. 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Suggested donation: Adult $2.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!