Monday, December 29, 2008

Kool Family Pics...circa mid-1960's

About 25 years ago, my great uncle pasted away. One thing I remember about my uncle was that he loved to take pictures. In fact, he was the first person I can remember with a 35mm camera and at the time an original POLAROID.

At some point in the past 20 years, I inherited my uncle's collection of 35mm slides. In the back of my mind, I always thought it would be cool to convert them into photographs (or in the past few years...digital form).


Well, they've been stored away in the back of Ol' Scruffy's closet for every. This week, I ran across them and got to thinking again about getting them converted to digital format.

I was talking to one of my "Hub Garage/Righteous Rodder" buddies and he said, "I can do that on my scanner!". Well, to see if it would work, I gave him a few slides from the collection to see how they would come out. I really had no idea what to expect, since most of the slides were taken when I was just a few years old in the mid-1960's.


Well...my buddy had the slides on a CD for me the very next day! And to my surprise, there were a lot of cool photographs of my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and even my great grandparents. An unexpected treat for me was to see a few pictures of the cars that my family has owned over the years. Now I'm interested in going through the rest of the slides and seeing what else I might find.

Here is a slide of my great grandparents Harry and Della with their 1956 Chevrolet.




Here is another photo of my great grandparents and my great aunt Helen. My grandfather told me this 1962 Chevrolet had been his, and he sold it to my great-grandfather.



Here are a couple pictures taken at a family get together, My father has very few pictures of the 1964 Plymouth Sports Fury he bought new off the showroom floor, but you can see it in the second photograph.


At first, I thought I had found more pictures of my father's Plymouth Sports Fury, but after closer examination and a talk with my father, I learned that the next couple of photographs are actually my great uncles Plymouth Fury. It was the same color of my dad's car, but the giveaway are the mirrors mounted way out on the front fenders.
I'm not sure who took this picture, but here is my great uncle Virgil with his Plymouth Fury.



O.K....this one doesn't have a car in the picture, but it reminds Ol' Scruffy of a simpler time. This is the Ol' Suede and Chrome webmaster enjoying the summer sun, my grandparent's pool, and a cherry-flavored popsicle....ah yeah, the "good ol' days"!


1 comment:

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!