Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Final Thoughts from ME's Zoo

Well, I can't believe this is the 3rd annual ME's Zoo car show and the first time I've known anything about it. Gee Whiz Daddio...I only live about a mile from the place! You would have thought I would have heard something about it before now!
Well, let's just say that I wasn't that impressed. Yeah, there were some nice cars and all, but the flyers boasted of "rat rods" and "traditional hot rods". Well, somebody forgot to tell that crowd, because most of the guys I saw were probably already drawing their Social Security checks.
Which brings me to an interesting thought. I've had a couple of conversations with different individuals over the past couple of weeks concerning hotrods, car shows, and car clubs. A friend of mine belongs to a car club in Greenville, Ohio and he predicts his club will disappear in 10 to 15 years. He claims that almost every member of the club (excluding him and another guy) are pushing 60+. Younger guys just are not joining. Another car friend from Nashville, IN told me that he doesn't enjoy his clubs shows because the members just drive the cars to the show and sit around in lawn chairs. He says he enjoys "grassroots" clubs like the RoadDevils and the Voodoo Kings because their shows are "events" with lots of things to do, live music, etc.
As I've walked around some local shows this year, the thought has come to mind that I would expect to see many "barn finds" and many more cars in "local auctions" as these baby boomers begin to pass on to the great drive-in in the sky. As these guys pass away, there cars and "projects" squirreled away in barns will become more and more available. The sad thing is, there doesn't seem to be as many younger folks interested in these vintage wheels. Nope...the new "car guys" are pimpin' out rice burners.
Well, that's all from the ME's Zoo show. Don't worry though, I've got over 100 photos taken Saturday evening at the Rolling 50's Cruise-in in Greenville, Ohio.....and I even drove Ol' Blue to the show!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, buddy! Watch the "old" talk! I am one of the few baby boomers who still loves all the cars, and since you have turned me on to them, the rat rods, too! I know what you mean about no younger group interested in building and maintaining the old cars. Just not too many young mechanics anywhere. Ask any dealership. Hard to find someone who can tune a car by ear.
    Still love your site! I just got my first paying advertiser. Also collected two "wins" this year at local car shows. See ya. Mustang Mike

    ReplyDelete

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!