Friday, January 30, 2009

"Fun" in the Indiana Snow....

Well, today is the 3rd day straight that we haven't had school due to the snow fall. According to the Indianapolis television news, this is the 7th largest single-day snowfall in recorded Indiana history. Muncie, Indiana got 13 inches of snow overnight on Tuesday evening.

That may not sound like a lot to some of you, but combined that with limited snow removal equipment and wide open farm fields and you've got some real road drifting issues.

Yesterday, I saw a woman trying to get down our road in a minivan. She got to our driveway, stopped and began backing back down the road. As I watched, I saw her get "squirrely" and get the van sideways across the road. I went inside and told my wife to get some warm clothes on and we both went out and got some shovels. By the time we went back outside, the lady had gotten her van back on the road and was still backing down the road to find a place to turn around.

When we looked the other direction on our road, we could see 5 stranded vehicles within the next 2 or 3 miles. My wife and I ended up walking about a mile and a 1/2 to get a friend's truck out of the ditch, (my friend wasn't happy with me, but I snapped a picture with my cellphone! He's an avid Suede and Chrome reader...so he knew immediately what I intended to do with the picture.) then we walked back toward our house to get another minivan out of a drift, finally, we walked a little closer to home and helped our neighbor get his Impala out of a drift and back into his drive. While we worked on these vehicles, someone else helped the other two vehicles further down the road get out of trouble.


All in all, we spent about an hour and a half out in the cold helping the neighbors. This morning I went out and it looks like there has been some more drifting snow. We still haven't seen a county snow plow since early Tuesday evening when the snow first started.
By the time we got home, I was "chilled to the bone", but felt good about being able to help my neighbors.

I think my 3 oldest children (who are all teenagers) are getting a little "stir-crazy" today. They seem to think that we should get out and go 'somewhere'. They don't seem to understand how bad the back roads are.

2 comments:

  1. Scruffy,
    I am looking at your site now and still can't read anything. Bold might work. My guess is since only two have complained, the others can't read enough to see where the "comments" is! Pyzam might be too much with the bamboo. Just a thought.
    Mustang Mike...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike....I have now stripped everything that I changed over Christmas break. Hopefully you and other Firefox/Mozilla users can now read "Suede and Chrome". Sorry for the inconvenience over the past month.

    -Scruffy

    ReplyDelete

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!