Friday, January 21, 2011

MG and the Gas City Three

First of all, I'd like to wish my beautiful wife of 24 years a very Happy Birthday today! I love you honey!

And speaking of my wife. She and I had an opportunity to check out a "local" Rockabilly band the other night in Muncie, Indiana. I want to thank MG and the Gas City Three for contacting me via email before the show. They sent me an inquiry email asking about booking them for one of our car club's (The Righteous Rodders) car shows.

Well, when I checked out their Reverbnation page, (see: http://www.reverbnation.com/mggascity3 to hear them) I was immediately impressed. And when I saw that they had an upcoming show at the Heorot in downtown Muncie, I decided what we just had to go and check them out.

Well, we got to the Heorot at the 9 pm advertised time, but learned that their were actually 3 bands on the bill that night, "Rale", "The Elixirs", and then MG & the Gas City Three. Back in my younger days I would have had no trouble hanging out to we hours of the morning, listening to 2 skate punk bands, and then a Rockabilly band on a Saturday night. However, being "more mature" now, the thought of waiting through 2 punk bands wasn't high on my list. The opportunity did give me a chance to meet all the band members and spend some time talking with upright bass player Mike Lindsey. The guys seemed to be a great group with a real passion for music and cars. 
As fate would have it, my wife and I were invited across the street to CenterStage by a car buddy of mine. Seems he's buddy runs the place, and he has been helping him with the joint. When he told me that "The Easy Leis" - a local vintage surf guitar band was playing @ 10 pm (editors note: The Easy Leis are booked to play our car club's 2nd Annual Wheels for Williams charity car show on May 14, 2011 in Losantville, IN), we thought we would head over and hear some great surf music, while we were waiting to hear MG and the Gas City Three.

Well, we ABSOLUTELY enjoyed the set we were able to hear from the Easy Leis, and had an opportunity to talk with Nathan Reese, guitar player for the band after their set. We also would like to thank our friend Yancey and the crew at CenterStage for their hospitality.

Well, to make a long story short, we went back across the street to the Heorot at about 11:30 pm, however, "The Elixirs" were still on stage and it didn't look like MG and crew would be going on until after midnight. I'd like to thank the guys from MG and the Gas City Three for giving me a demo CD. My wife and I enjoyed listening to it all the way home. It contains some great covers of Carl Perkins' classic "Blue Suede Shoes", Johnny Cash's "Folsum Prison Blues" and "Big River", Chuck Berry's classic "Maybelline" and a song I hadn't heard in years, T.J. Red Arnall's "Cocaine Blues". 

I was so impressed with the band that I'm hoping that the Righteous Rodders can book them for a future show. For more information about the band, you can check out one of these sites:
http://www.gcity3.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MG-the-Gas-City-three/158251514200239

If you live in the greater Indianapolis area, and would like to hear MG and the Gas City Three live, they will be playing on Friday, February 11th at the Indianapolis World of Wheels on the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!