Monday, February 18, 2008

HOLY COW!!!! Hot Rod Heaven!




Well, as you can imagine, the more I post to this blog, the more I find and the more links people send me. My buddy Fchevfan sent me a link yesterday to an INCREDIBLE site! I can't believe I've never ran across it myself. The link is:


This site has literally HUNDREDS of photos of traditional hot rods and rat rods. Looks like the creator of this site allows people to upload pictures. I could not believe the sheer number of photos. I've placed just a few of the photos I found in this post. There are too many sick and wicked vehicles to count!
My suggestion is you fix yourself a nice hot cup of java, sit back, click on the link and enjoy the show!

On another note. Got to spend some time with my grandfather today. Since today was Presidents' Day, we did not have school. No teachers, students, secretaries, or custodians. However, it was a work day for administrators. I spent the day alone in our old building, trying to get caught up on some paperwork. Anyway....I took a late lunch and took the "scenic" route home. My route took me through my hometown. Driving by the local "Mickey D's", I saw my grandfather's car in the parking lot.

My grandfather is an interesting guy. A WWII vet, earned a purple heart during the war, and is close to 90 years old. Since my grandmother passed away a few years ago, he amuses himself by hanging out at McDonald's, drinking coffee with a group of locals and shooting the "bull" with whoever will listen.


I hadn't seen him in awhile, so I pulled into the parking lot and went in to 'surprise' him. Well, he was happy to see me and had me sit down for a Coke. He introduced me to everyone that came by. The coolest thing...I like to get folks talkin' about cars. We sat for about an hour and a half, just talking about the history of some of the local buildings, cars that they each had, places where they knew old cars used to set in the area, etc.

I got my grandfather to tell me the store of my great-uncle's old Packard. My great-uncle passed away a few years ago and the car was sold at auction. At the time I wished I had been able to afford the car, I have some great memories of riding around in it as a kid. A big straight-8 with tons of power! Anyway, today, I learned that my uncle had bought the car for $2,000.00. The guy who owned it had rebuilt the engine and when he put the car back together, the engine was stuck. He became so frustrated with it, he sold it to my Uncle Willy. Well, my uncle took it home and put it up on the rack and dropped the tranny. It his surprise, the only thing wrong with the car was that the guy had put one bolt in that was a bit too long that was catching and causing the engine not to turn over. When he replaced the bolt and tranny, he was able to start the car right up!

Lesson Learned Today: Take time from your busy schedule to enjoy time spent with family. Heck...ya might just learn some great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!