Friday, February 4, 2011

Back Online!

SUEDE AND CHROME IS BACK!  Thanks to everyone who "weathered the storm" with us. We finally got the Internet up and working again tonight! Thanks to my brother-in-law (who by the way was stranded in Texas on a business trip for the past few days due to the storm) for getting us back up and running. Trouble is, the forecast is calling for a few more inches of snow tomorrow, 3-5 inches more by Monday, and another storm on the way! Let's hope we don't loose the Internet again in this one!
Well, just one week until I head down to Indy with my club brothers to the 2011 Autorama and Motorama 1962. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. ALWAYS lots of cool cars, great folks, and awesome music. Hoping this winter forecast does blow our plans. 

Until then, my buddy Rob Riley has sent me a few more stories and photographs of some of his amazing model builds. Today, I'm posting a really cool Olds!

As told by builder Rob Riley, "I built this one a few years ago, and it was originally the Hurst Hairy Olds kit. I got the model from a friend of mine in pieces and the original decals were missing. The real car was black & gold with the Hurst Hairy Olds lettering on the sides.
 
 
I painted the body with a base coat of silver paint. I masked off a stripe that goes over the hood, roof and truck, and i masked off the sides of the car. I painted the stripe and the side panels gold. At this point I had a silver body with gold stripes and gold side panels.
 
 
I left the stripes and side panels exposed and sprayed them with dark blue paint. Using an old trick with some Seran wrap, I made a marblized effect in the blue paint. This allowed some of the blue paint to be removed, letting some of the gold to show through.
 
 
after the blue paint was dry, I sprayed the whole thing with candy apple red, and then clear coated it.
My friend made up the decals in gold foil, and the rest of the car was built right out of the box. The only other things I changed besides the paint and decals, were the wheels. It originally had a set of Olds Tornado wheels on it, but I didn't like them too much.  I replaced them with a set of 5 spoke mags.
 
 
It has two blown 425 cubic inch Olds motors in it, with Olds Tornado trans- axles on each engine."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!