Thursday, November 19, 2009

Can You Believe It? Still More from Hunnert 2009

Well, I absolutely enjoyed this year's Hunnert Car Pile Up. It was everything that I had envisioned it would be and more. Truly the "mecca" for traditional hot rods and rat rods. And I'm ABSOLUTELY glad that I decided to finally make the drive this year, as I've heard that the future of the show may be up in the air.

This was the 8th annual Hunnert Car Pile Up, and by far the largest. In fact, things got so congested around 2 pm on Saturday, that the Illinois State Police shut down any entrance or exit from the show. Because of this, and because of the HUGE number of spectators, the host club received some negative feedback from some attendees and others who made the drive but were turned away at the gate.

It is QUITE unfortunate that a few disatisfied attendees may ruin the event for everyone! (but hasn't life always been like this? Even way back in grade school..."because a few of you cannot behave, the entire class will be staying inside for recess today!" The Chrome Czars are an absolutely AMAZING bunch! To think that just a handful "car guys" can put on an incredible show of this magnitude is absolutely mindblowing! These guys truly host a one of a kind show. I've been to a lot of the "biggies" in the Midwest over the years, and NONE compare to what I experienced in Morris, IL. this year! My hat is off to the Chrome Czars! You guys are 1st rate!


I certainly don't have an understanding of everything that goes into the event, but I would suggest that a way to alleviate some of the traffic, parking, and crowd issues may be to turn this one day event into a weekend affair. I know that the James Dean Festival in Fairmount, Indiana and the Ducktail Run in Gas City, Indiana draw thousands of cars and spectators, yet the crowds are spread over a 3 or 4 day weekend.

Personally, I hope the Chrome Czars overlook the small percentage of disgruntled attendees and instead focus on the vast majority of attendees and participates (like myself) who view this event as more than a car show...it is truly a celebration of a lifestyle and passion for those of us that enjoy traditional hot rods.

Lots of kool photos in today's post. I especially like this little kustom pickup truck. The altered wheelbase gives this truck a unique stout look. The ratfink green spoke wheels really set the truck off too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!