Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Well...I'll be Darn...


Didn't think I'd see this one again.....A few years ago, I was at the Ducktail Run in Gas City, Indiana and saw this "Tiki" Bread Truck. The thing was drawing quite a crowd. Air ride, lots of tiki grass, etc. on the inside, surfboards strapped to the exterior. I thought it was pretty inventive using old Coke signs to make fender skirts and corrugated steel to make a sunvisor and headlight visors. The dual exhausts coming from the fender skirts was an interesting touch as well, not to mention what appear to be tail lights from a late 50s Impala.


I remember it well, because at the time, I had just started a program at school called H.A.L.O. (Helping At-opportunity Learners Overcome). I had a few guys in the program that I had challenged with a trip to a car show if they met all of their goals in their behavior plans. At any rate, I was thinking that it would be REALLY cool to have something to haul a bunch of kids to events in....(i.e. a hot rod bread truck, milk truck, school bus, limo, etc.) When I saw this at the show, I HAD to check it out.
Editors note: I ended up with a 1985 Dodge 15 passenger van that has never really gotten off the ground. Not a real "cool" vehicle even with some "custom" Mooneyes decals on the doors. Still looking for something "cool" for this project.)



Years later, I learned that it had belonged to the guy I would buy my 50 Chevrolet from. He had built it, and sold it....


Well, guess the story of this vehicle doesn't end there. It showed up on eBay this week. Don't know if it's still in the hands of the guy who bought it, but it appears to be down in Kentucky.

If you want a chance at a VERY unique cruiser, and a real conversation piece, or you just want to check out the bidding, link on the following link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Other-Pickups-1956-Ford-Rat-Rod-Bread-Truck_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6221QQihZ002QQitemZ120279337604QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!