Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Model Ts @ the Winchester Speedway!


We didn't get to see this one run. They were loading it into a trailer as we parked at the track.








Well, if you're interested in Model T Fords, East Central Indiana is the place to be this week. In an earlier "Suede and Chrome" post, I listed all the events that are taking place in area towns for the 100th year celebration of the Model T.


As my son and I entered the grandstands, these vehicles were leaving the track.


Unfortunately for me, I've been too busy with "life" to be able to get to anything until this afternoon. Today, my oldest son and I jumped into Ol' Blue and headed just down the road a few miles to the Winchester Speedway. The Winchester Speedway is located in Winchester, Indiana and is actually home of the 1/2 mile oval speed record. Many famous drivers have raced at Winchester coming up through the ranks including Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and Mark Martin.



I actually know the owner of the track, Charlie Shaw, as he was my former employer when I worked a few years in Human Resources at his other business...Astral Industries, Inc. in Lynn, Indiana. (Astral is one of the world's top 5 producers of steel burial caskets. They produce caskets of both 20 and 18 gauge steel.)


Anyway, today from noon until 5:00, Charlie allowed Model T owners on the track with their vehicles to "take a few laps". Charlie told me they had over 400 Model Ts visit the track. Unfortunately for us, we got there at about 3:30 and most of the cars had already left.


We did stick around for over an hour and were able to watch several vintage cars and trucks take a few laps around the track. No track records were broken today, as these vintage vehicles top out at about 40 or 50 miles an hour. Still, it was really cool to watch the owners enjoying the opportunity.

I took plenty of pictures, I'll post more from the track as time allows.

I may try to get to some more Model T events on Friday. I'd really like to see some of the timed Model T assembly competitions. If not, I do have plans to travel south to Nashville, Indiana this Saturday. I'm loading up the wife and kids and taking them to the Hillbillies and Hotrods Show. I'm really looking forward to the cars and music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!