Saturday, November 29, 2008

Restoring Faith....

Just found out about an AWESOME project going on in Chicago, IL. Project: "Restoring Faith" involves 7 groups of young people. These students come from intercity Chicago, many out of gangs and other tough circumstances. The idea is to allow these young people to restore a 64 Impala they have named "Faith" in 40 days! The group hopes that through the experience of restoring the car, they can also begin to restore their faith.

God Bless you Oscar and Yolanda, this sounds like an incredible project!

For more information and/or to follow the build, check out the Restoring Faith website at: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=393455220

I've often thought it would be VERY cool to put together something like this for the "at-opportunity" students in my district. I'm a principal in a very different setting than the "Restoring Faith project"....small town, rural Ohio. But young people everywhere have very similar issues. There are several kids each year that I wish that I could find the "hook" to keep them engaged in their school work. A LOT of these kids are "hands on" and could benefit from something like this.

I wish I could find the means to finance a project. I've got a lot of great ideas for a whole "youth center". There really isn't a lot for kids to do in this part of the United States. There is an old Carter Lumber building just a few miles from me that has been vacant and for sale for several years. With several metal buildings, this place would be an awesome site for a garage, a youth coffeehouse, and even a skate park. With my connections, the place could provide after school tutoring as well.

Maybe one day Ol' Scruffy will figure out a way to get something like this going. I would love to have an opportunity to get kids interested in hotrodding and give them a cool place to hang out and stay out of trouble at the same time. Maybe one day we can "Restore Hope". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!