Friday, October 1, 2010

Hello October!

Wow! It's really hard to believe that October is hear already. It's also hard for me to believe that average temperatures in the Midwest have dropped from the low 90's to the mid-60's in a week's time.

This time of year is exciting to "gear heads" in the Midwest, because the cooler temperatures bring with them lots of cool area cruise-ins and shows. One of the biggest is actually 2 separate shows that go on at the same time in two neighboring towns. The James Dean Festival in Fairmount, IN (Dean's birthplace), and the Ducktail Run in Gas City, IN (the two towns are not more than 10 miles apart) draw several thousands of vehicles and spectators to an otherwise peaceful rural area.

My father and I have been making the trek, (only a bit over an hour from my home now), every year since 1984. Since the early 90's, my oldest son has also went with us, however, this year, he chose his girlfriend over spending the day with his dad and grandpa (what the heck's up with that?).

The weather for this year's event was absolutely perfect. Sunny skies, but cooler autumn temperatures helped push the number of entries at both events to some of the highest totals in recent years.

My father and I have figured out the best places to find a FREE parking spot over the past 25+ years, and since the construction of a really cool walk way from Jonesboro, IN, across the river, to the park were the Ducktail Run is held...Jonesboro has always been the "ticket". Recently, the little town of Jonesboro has added a bike rally that takes place during the other two events, so it has added even more excitement and spectators.



I've "jumped" over a couple of smaller albums I've taken at some area events to start posting the pictures I took at this year's James Dean Festival and Ducktail Run. With the Hunnert Car Pileup just around the corner, I thought I'd try to get these pictures moving. Today's post is the first installment from the 2010 Ducktail Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!