Saturday, May 12, 2007

Summertime, summertime, sum, sum, summertime!


Ah...just a few more weeks of school and then it's SUMMERTIME! Fall used to be my favorite time of year growing up. The cooler temperatures, the changing colors, football season, the first frost that brought an end to "allergy season". But any more, I look forward to June. Local car shows and cruise-ins on the weekends. The Indy Goodguy Nationals in June, The SuperChevy Show in July, attending my kids little league games, cookouts, fireworks....ah SUMMERTIME!

One of the first "signs" of an approaching summer is the sound of motorcycles cruising the local highways. Last Sunday afternoon a group of cyclists (50 to 75) passed my in-laws house during lunch. A friend of mine road is "hog" to church that same Sunday morning.
One thing I will miss this summer is borrowing my friend's Shay A and driving around with the top down. He recently came back to Indiana from a winter in Florida and left the Shay down in the Sunshine State. I'm going to have to find something cheap and fun (i.e. the car [not the girl] in the picture to the left!) :) I still have a strange fascination with cars from the '30s and '40s....I don't really know why, but they interest me more than cars from the '50s or muscle cars from the late '60s and early '70s. I guess what I like most about the "rat rod" craze is that they are DRIVERS....no trailer queens with these guys. They enjoy cars because they are fun to build and fun to drive. It's about cruisin' with friends and enjoying life, not worrying whether someone's belt buckle is going to scratch your $50,000.00 StreetRod at the local A&W !

Who needs high dollar Coddington Billet wheels and plush leather custom interiors? Heck....I'd be to afraid to ever take something like that out of the garage! Give me something that is simple and fun to drive. Powdercoated steelies and a suede paint job. Something you can drive across town on a Friday night to get a Rootbeer Float, and then take it to a cruise-in on Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey daddio! Thanks for checking out Suede and Chrome! Your comments are greatly appreciated!